Portfolio Non-Exec Management - From 2010 to present
Holiday Taxis (Airport-to-Hotel Ltd) Board Consultant - From 2010 to present
Holiday transfer business carrying 4m passengers a year with annual profits of £2m.
- Co-founded the business in 2001 and was responsible for recruiting management team, raising seed finance and development of technological platform.
- Returned to active board role in 2010, contributing to strategic direction and IT strategy in particular.
Teletext Holidays. Non Executive Chairman - From 2014 to present
Online Travel Agent, carrying 400,000 passengers, with profits in excess of £3m per annum.
- Responsible for restructuring and recruitment of management team, post acquisition by VC fund Dubai Travel Services.
- Act as key linkage between Teletext and outsourced service provider Truly Travel with its Indian based call centre.
- Creation of strategic plan and driving of move to "above the line" advertising investment to complement online strategy and re-invigorate this highly recognised legacy travel brand.
Wex International (Formerly Corporate Pay) Board consultant - From 2010 to present
Virtual credit card provider, which dominates the virtual card market, within the UK travel sector.
- Board consultant since 2010, SE played a major role in the creation of the Virtual credit card model for the payment of airlines in the UK travel sector.
- Airline Virtual credit card model turned over £400m in 2013 and allowed the start up business only created in 2009 to be sold for £80m to Wex.
- SE’s contract was extended by Wex for 3further years upon its acquisition of Corporate Pay.
Rock Insurance. Non Executive Director - From 2001 to present
High tech insurance provider, with three main product lines, Travel Insurance, Supplier Failure Insurance and Gadget cover.
- Co-founded the business in 2001 and was responsible for recruiting management team, raising seed finance and setting business strategy.
- Board member responsible for setting of executive management board’s quarterly objectives.
CWT Digital. Non Executive Chairman - From 2010 to present
Travel focused technology business, recently responsible for the technology platform used to operate Easyjet Holidays and Amadeus Cruise Shop. Annual profits of between £50-£250k
- Co-founded the business in 2001 and was responsible for recruiting management team, raising seed finance and driving initial customer acquisition.
- Board member since 2001, SE took the Chairman’s role in 2012 and was responsible for securing major contracts with Tui owned Hotel Beds for the operation of Easyjet Holiday platform and the strategic relationship with Amadeus.
On Holiday Group (UK) Ltd Chief Operating Operator - From 2004 – 2014
Fully dedicated role between 2004 -2009 and 60% of time 2010-2014
- Entrepreneurial group of business exploiting the evolution of the Travel sector towards a "non risk" model commonly referred to as "Dynamic Packaging" within the UK Travel Industry.
- B2B trade bed bank business "Holiday Brokers" grew rapidly from zero to 600,000 passengers turning over £120m annually.
- Established profitable international subsidiary business in Spain, Germany and Irish.
- Re-structured the business when HMRC disputed "Agency of Hotel" VAT model in 2009, via partnership to create a off shore Euro Zone bed bank called Euro Rooms.
- Established and built a profitable B2C division via the creation of a range of brands to exploit micro opportunities based on exploiting price comparison site and long tail advertising opportunities within Google.
- Responsible for the creation of Jet2 Holidays for the low cost carrier Jet2, and Aldi.
MyTravel Plc. Deputy Chief Operating Office (UK & IRE) - 2003
- Role extended to include strategic direction of UK business and development of a "3 year strategic plan", required to secure £1.3bn of debt refinancing and £200m of debenture bond roll over.
- Mytravel Plc successfully refinanced its debt requirements for a further three years.
MyTravel Plc. MD Distribution & Charter Tour Operations (UK & IRE) - 2002
- Responsible for the utilisation of group Aviation, Cruise and Hotel assets via the management of Airtours, Panorama and Direct Holiday which carry 4.3m passengers and a turnover of £2.1bn.
- Management of Going Places 680 High Street location and the Holidayline Call centre division with 750 telesales operatives, with sales revenues of £1.1 billion.
- Stabilisation and management of business in order to be able to refinance £1.5 billion of debt.
- Motivating and retaining senior management in extremely difficult financial and trading arena.
- Design and introduction of state of the art yield management and margin analysis systems.
- Delivered an increase in sales of 212%, to 610k passengers, and 50% market share.
- £32m reduction in overheads (22%), via an aggressive review of head count, and product lines.
Urbanweb Ltd. Managing Director (25% Shareholder) - From 1999 to 2001
Entrepreneurial role; development of the Internet as a booking and advertising medium for the travel.
Carlson Companies Inc. Vice President E-Commerce - From 1997 to 1999
Based in Minneapolis, USA responsible for development of group e-commerce strategy.
Airtours Plc (Mytravel) - From 1991 to 1997
Sales and Commercial Director (1995-1997)
Product and Commercial Director (1991-1995)
ILG Plc/Sunworld Ltd - From 1988 to 1991
Finance Director Sunworld Ltd. (1990 – 1991)
Financial Controller (1988-1990)
Reed International Plc. Corporate Finance Trainee - From 1986 to 1988
Educational and Professional Qualifications.
Qualified member of "Chartered Institute of Management Accounts" (CIMA)
1983-1986 Brighton Polytechnic: B.A. (Hons) Degree in Accountancy and Finance 2.1
1976-1983 Borden Grammar School, Sittingbourne, Kent: 4 "A" Levels and 9 "O" Levels.
Personal Interests: Rugby, squash, tennis and skiing.